Why overpay for one of the best treats for Valentine’s Day? Homemade chocolate covered strawberries take a little time, but are well worth it. Plus you will make someone very happy 🙂
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
1 pint basket fresh strawberries (1 pound)
2 cups dark(or milk) chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (12 ounces)
- Wash and dry the strawberries. Rinse the strawberries under cool running water and gently pat dry or let air-dry if necessary.
- Melt the dark chocolate. Fill the bottom of the double-boiler or medium saucepan with an inch or two of water and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Put chocolate into the top of the double-boiler or bowl and set this over the simmering water. Let the chocolate melt, stirring occasionally, until no more lumps remain. Remove the the chocolate from heat.
- Prepare Baking Sheet. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip the strawberries. Working with one strawberry at a time, pick up a strawberry by the top leaves and dip it into the chocolate. Turn or swirl the strawberry as needed to completely coat it in chocolate. Lift the strawberry out and shake gently to remove any excess chocolate.
- Lay dipped strawberries on the baking sheet. Carefully lay the dipped strawberry on its side on the baking sheet. Repeat with dipping the remaining strawberries.
- Let the chocolate set. Let the strawberries sit until the chocolate coating is set and dry to the touch. Refrigerate to speed process along.
Serve on tray lined with a paper doily